Monday, November 8, 2010

Spinach Stuffed Shells (Freezer Meal)

Our ward's RS has started a new, ongoing project to help better serve the sisters in our ward. Our RS president and Humanitarian Leader have asked the sisters in the ward to prepare a freezer meal that will be placed in a central RS freezer and when someone in the ward needs a meal, they will pull out one of the freezer meals instead of calling someone to prepare and take over a meal. I think it is a very good idea! We will see how it goes. Well, I signed up to prepare a freezer meal and this is the one I made: Spinach Stuffed Shells. It is delicious! The ward is asking for 8 by 8 inch pans, so what I did was I made one 8 by 8 for the ward and one 8 by 8 for our family's dinner. It was really nice, it was no extra work on my part. This was really a quick and easy meal and it was delicious, like I already mentioned. In fact, Chris told me it was his favorite stuffed shell recipe I have made yet and that is a big compliment because I have made many stuffed shell recipes throughout our married life. Anyways, I will include the recipe and pics of the meal. Oh, a great tip I learned from a wonderful cook in my ward, Patty, is on how to keep a freezer meal from getting freezer burn. Place an 8 by 8 inch size pan in a gallon ziplock freezer bag and then take a straw and suck out all the air so it creates a vacuum effect. you can also write the directions on the ziplock baggie for convenience, it is genius. That is what mine is a picture of. Again, genius idea! Now that I realize how nice freezer meals can be, I plan on making more for my family so that on days where we are short on time or I don't feel like cooking we can have a nice meal instead of taco bell. Anyways, enjoy and if you have some yummy freezer meal recipes, please send my way at heidi.glidewell@gmail.com. Thanks!

Recipe:

Spinach Stuffed Shells
www.sisterscafe.blogspot.com

1 pkg jumbo pasta shells
1 jar favorite spaghetti sauce
1 pkg chopped spinach, thawed
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
1 lg carton cottage cheese
1 egg

Thaw spinach and drain well. Cook shells according to package directions (I always slightly undercook them by a minute). Mix in a large bowl;cottage cheese, mozzarella, parmesan, spinach and egg white. stuff mixtre into shells and place in 9x13 baking dish (I usually use 2 smaller sized ones because my family does not eat a whole 9x13 for dinner). I spray the baking dish with cooking spray and pour a little bit of sauce in the bottom. Stuff mixture into shells and place into prepared dish (or dishes). Pour spaghetti sauce over shells and top with some cheese. Cover and freeze or you can bake it immediatly at 350 for 30-45minutes until heated thru. If you freeze it plan on adding an additional hour to your baking time. I love freezing this meal, but it is also a great recipe to make earlier in the day and keep in the fridge. Then all you have to do it throw it in the oven for dinner.

                                     Before adding sauce and cheese on top
                                                        I forgot to cover mine with foil before placing in plastic bag, so don't forget like I did. 

No comments: