I love Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving themed crafts for kids! Today, we made a hand and foot turkey, Lexi's hand and foot turkey to be exact! I love, LOVE how I had all the supplies on hand so that we could make this in no time and inexpensively! Double bonus! Lexi just loved creating this turkey and the end result was fantastic. In fact, she has been carrying this turkey around all day. Now, she is napping and as I was getting her ready for her nap she asked me if the turkey could come take a nap with her! She is that in love :) It is cute!
We used her hand prints for the feathers, her foot traced onto brown foam for the head, a paper plate that is colored in brown marker for the body, pipe cleaner for the feet, and scrap pieces of orange and red construction paper for the beak and gobble part.
Tips: So I did not have to trace Lex's
hand 8 times, I just took four pieces of construction paper, folded the stack in half, traced her hand once and then cut out all the papers at once. It was simple and fast and they all came out uniform. Also, I wanted to paint the paper plate, but did not have brown, so we used marker, but next time, I will invest in the brown paint, because she got tired of coloring the plate and I had to finish. It was also a little time consuming and did not turn out as pretty as paint would have. So buy the paint if you don't have it. Lastly, I traced her foot with no shoe on. This is harder to do. Next time, I will have her put on a shoe. She kept saying the pen tickled her feet and would move, and then because her toes are not even the head is slightly slanted. But oh well, live and learn. So if you want to re-create this with your kiddos hopefully my little tips will help. No matter, Lexi had fun doing this and it really was easy to do. She helped me with all the steps and it held her attention, except when I had to cut, then she read books! I love creating things with Lex and to create projects using her own hands and feet are a great momento as well. I plan to keep this particular project in her "baby box" so that she can see how small and tiny her hands and feet were once upon a time...

No comments:
Post a Comment