Because we were not expecting any visitors, we ate when everything was ready. This was great for me, especially since I slept in this morning and didn't get up when I wanted to. So, around 8:30 a.m. I woke up, preheated my oven, and started work. I did most of my prep last night so today was actually an enjoyable cooking day for me. Anyways, by 9:30 the bird was roasting away! And, due to an incredible cooking method I learned, it was done by Noon! By the time the very last thing was made, the Rolls, we ate at 2:30 p.m. We were shooting for 1 pm so not too far off :)
Here is our entire menu for the day:
Roasted Turkey
Mashed Potatoes
Stuffing
Rolls
Corn
Giblet Gravy
Deviled Eggs
Root Beer
Pumpkin Pie with Homemade Whipped Cream
If I do say so myself, it was quite good! The turkey was so juicy and moist and having only made a turkey one other time before today, which was last Thanksgiving, I have improved this cooking skill a lot! I finally got over my, I cannot make rolls well at all, barrier today. These were the best rolls! I don't want to say Ever because I still think the Lion House Rolls are better, but they were up there in that caliber! Anyways, Chris is telling me not to ramble on about my food addiction, so I will save you. Let's just say I was quite proud. Chris was proud and happy as well. Lexi was just glad there were rolls and root beer. Oh, yea, and corn. Yes, that is right, that is all that stinker ate: One roll, too much rootbeer, and maybe two spoonfuls of corn. I cannot wait until she starts eating again, silly girl.
Anyways, after we ate and cleaned up somewhat, we talked to our families! I love our families. They are the greatest people on Earth. My family was scattered this year and so was Chris's family, but it is great how everyone is just one phone call away. Although I enjoyed our quiet, peaceful Thanksgiving, I am looking forward to many more Thanksgivings when we are closer to home and surrounded by wonderful family.
Then, we went for a drive, and looked at Christmas lights. It was Chris's idea, and I was actually amazed at how many people have already put up Christmas lights and trees and Christmas stuff in general. Lexi loves lights and so she had a good time.
After our drive, we came home, ate pumpkin pie, got in pjs and watched a movie as a family. It rarely happens that all four of us are on the same couch watching one movie, I loved it! Lexi got to pick and it was Ratatouille. She received this cute movie from Christmas last year from her Great Grandma King and for whatever reason, we had not watched it until now. Lexi loved it! Thanks Grandma for getting it for her! She has already asked me if we can watch it again tomorrow. And, since I am going out shopping at 3 am for Black Friday, she just might get her chance :)
Then, it was prayers, kisses, and bedtime. It really was a near perfect day for us! I am so grateful for holidays, especially because Chris does not have to go to work or school and because it makes our family seem so much closer. I am grateful for Thanksgiving and the spirit of Thanksgiving that is brought with it. I hope all of your days were happy ones and filled with good memories. So one last time, Happy Thanksgiving all!
Our Table Settings: I got the cloth napkins, napkin ring, and placemat at Pier 1 for ridiculously low prices! I love sales. Sometimes procrastinating pays off :)
The Centerpiece
Chris requested these beauties. None were left!
We received this gravy boat for our wedding and never opened it, until now! Isn't it pretty? Pretty fancy smancy. If you gave it to us four years ago, thank you.
In my opinion, the star of the show!
Isn't is just pretty?
The bird. Okay, it looks a little weird, because I cooked it breast side down! So, the lines from my roasting pan rack made it look a little funky, but believe you me, it was scrumptious nonetheless.
Lexi just wanted to eat!
Carving the bird. He did good!
Isn't that a pretty plate? I am so glad there are leftovers, this is making me drool just looking at it.
Christine was quite content playing while we ate. She is such a good little baby! We love her.
Lexi HAD to be in this picture. Look, she still has a roll in her hand, she literally jumped off her chair from the table to squeeze in to Christine's photo. Having trouble sharing the spotlight? No! :)
Chris loves to mix his corn with potatoes!
My girl!
My splurge for this meal: Paula Deen stoneware pie plate. Love it! I swear the paula deen pie I made tasted 10 times better being baked in this!
It was more like pumpkin cheesecake rather than just pumpkin pie! Very good and I am not even a huge pumpkin pie fan! Paula Deen rocks!
This is out of order, but I had to add it. I love Lexi's look, it is kind of like, "hurry up mom!" and "okay, just for you, I'll smile."
No comments:
Post a Comment