Today, the sun was out and it was not raining, so us three girls went on a little nature walk in our "backyard." It was so much fun as always. Lexi loves to be outdoors and let's face it, winter is coming whether we like it or not, and so we are taking every opportunity to go outside before this fluffy, white stuff we call snow appears. It was rather windy, however, and it was a chilly wind, so our walk was about 30 minutes, I wanted an hour, but Lexi's nose started looking a little red, so we cut it short. On our walk we did what we always do, pick up leaves, sticks, and other interesting things that Lexi discovers, like pinecones and acorns, etc. Normally after our walk, Lexi insists on leaving the things she found in her bucket. In the bucket they remain until I start seeing crunched up leaves in her bedroom and sticks on the bathroom floor and then it is back outside for them. Well, today, Lexi asked me if we could make a leaf book like on Sid. She is really digging this show right now on PBS called, Sid the Science Kid, and there was an episode about leaf books, oh, about a week ago, maybe two weeks ago. When she asked, I couldn't believe she remembered that episode. So, how could I tell her no. So, I got out some construction paper, and stapled two folded in half pages together to create a book. Note: I first made a red book, but Lexi looked at me and said, "Mom, I wanted an orange leaf book. pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaassssssssssseeeeeeee mommy!" So I made an orange one. She sure does have opinions these days :) Then, we used masking tape and Lexi taped her leaves and things onto each page of this book. I had her describe each item on the pages and I wrote down exactly what she told me. I love how observant she is and I love how she uses more than one adjective sometimes to describe something, like she said, "big, brown leaf, and brown, bumpy pinecone" Pretty good for a 2 year old, I think anyways. When we were done, she flipped through the book, reading it to me. It was cute. After she was done, I said, "Okay it is time to clean up!" All of the sudden she looked at me with this look in her eye like she had the most brillant idea ever. She said, "Mom, wait! We need to get my magnifying glass and really look at the leaves!" "I'll get it Mommy!" Sure enough, she walked over to her backpack, pulled out her magnifying glass and came back to the table. She started looking at her objects using it and then she got so excited and said, "Mom, these leaves have lines on them, just like Sids!" I was amazed at first, how much she remembered from that episode way back when and second, that she was so observant and was acting like a "real scientist!" Who knows, maybe she will choose a profession in the science field one day. Anyways, I just wanted to share because we had a good day making discoveries!

Everytime we ask her to smile now, she cocks her head back like this, it is funny!
Funny Story: When I put the tape on this pinecone, she started laughing and said, "Mommy, you gave the pinecone a blanket!' She thought it was hilarious!
I don't know why she is making that face, but it makes me smile.
Look at my scientist!
1 comment:
What a great idea! Your kids are going to be geniuses with all these enriching activities. I love it!
Post a Comment