Monday, November 8, 2010

Lexi's First Counting Book

Last week, I was trying to think of a "preschool" activity I could do with Lex that would actually be educational and fun! Well, Lexi loves to count, she loves shapes and colors and pretty much anything to do with math. So, we made a counting book. Lexi LOVED doing this! I just took a piece of construction paper, (the color green was her pick), and folded it into a book. Then, I took a marker and just wrote the numbers 1-6 in the corners of each page. I then laid out a bunch of foam shape stickers and together, Lexi and I put the stickers on each page until we had the amount that represented each number. She really enjoyed it, more than I actually thought she would. I also loved how this one simple activity reinforced more than just counting. It reinforced shapes and colors as well. Plus, she had to use her fine motor skills to peel the paper backing off each sticker, which trust me, took patience for Lexi and me, but she did it! So, this one activity did so many educational things! I love it when that happens. Then, on the back page, I wrote a number and drew that many lines by it and Lexi had to count as she placed the stickers on the lines. This was great. Lexi can count to 14 just by memory, but if you have her point and count she has difficulty for she will point to one object and say, "1,2" so if there are only 5 items she will say 10 because she doubles counts each one, if that makes sense. So this was practice for counting and pointing, I forgot the actual educational word for this at the moment, but you get the point. Anyways, I have been trying to do things like this with Lex at least twice a week, at LEAST. And, it is really good and gives us something structured that is beneficial and most importantly, makes learning FUN! I love watching Lexi learn and I love it when she gets so proud of herself for saying and doing the right things. I love how kids come to earth curious and full of love for learning. It is great! I get my teacher fix everytime I teach lexi something new!

No comments: