Monday, December 13, 2010

Nutter Butter Reindeer FHE Activity

Tonight for part of Family Night, we made cute, simple reindeers using a few edible supplies. We made some to sample and then we made a bunch that we are going to give to our neighbors tomorrow. This was fun! Lexi could do this all by herself. Seriously, the whole process she could accomplish without my help, it was great!  I think they turned out pretty sweet. I got the idea off of a blog, but  I cannot remember the name, I forgot to save it! I hope I stumble across the blog again, though, because there were some other cute ideas along with this one. Anyways, I put all the supplies in a muffin tin, which is actually a great tip, especially working with kids. It makes it more organized and easier for kids to grab the supplies they need. Anyways, I put the frosting in a ziploc sandwich bag and cut a small hole on the bottom corner, to make my own pastry bag. It worked fantastically and even Lexi could use it to squirt frosting on the cookie. So basically you need the following if wanting to recreate this:
tiny twists pretzels (antlers)
red m & m's (nose)
mini chocolate chips (I used regular chips) (eyes)
nutter butter cookies (head)
chocolate frosting, homemade or store bought (glue)

It is that simple. I am telling you, I love playing with food! It is so much fun! It just makes eating more fun when the cookie is a reindeer!
Oh, something I learned tonight, Lexi DOES NOT like Nutter Butters. I think this was her first time having one, and she is not a fan! Good to know. She IS an M & M fan, though.

Okay, now you need to go out and make some for you and your kids! Great idea for class parties, preschool activities, or just because! Have fun!

organizing supplies: Bonus Activity: We only needed red m and m's so I had lexi sort through them and make two piles, one for green and one for red, she loved it!
This was my first reindeer. I thought I would like the antlers this way more than the other way, but it was more work, and i don't think it is as cute, so this was the only one with antlers like this. 
Lexi loves to eat as she works. Her chocolaty face is natural looking, I think :) Also, looking at this picture makes me realize, I desperately need to get Lexi's bangs cut. Geez!
I like the antlers this way much better than the first way. What do you think?
Can you find the odd ball reindeer? 

No comments: