Thursday, October 21, 2010

Magic Milk Colors

I found this idea at a blog called, Our Best Bites and had all of the supplies on hand, so I decided to give it a try with Lexi today. Boy, this is a cool idea! Lexi liked it a lot! This kept her entertained for a good 25 minutes! She thought the "magic" toothpick was just about the coolest thing. She kept saying, "Look Mom, I a magician like Franklin!" (She is obsessed with the book Franklin and the Magic Show hence the reference to Franklin the turtle). I am so glad she liked this and we will definitely need to do it again on another rainy day.

How to Do this Activity (with pictures):

Place milk in a shallow dish and add some drops of liquid food coloring.
Now grab a *magic* toothpick.  What?  You don't know where to buy magic toothpicks??  Just dip the end in dish soap :) And let your kiddo touch the milk with it.  
the colors instantly shoot out at lightning speed creating a wake of rainbows!  Try dipping the toothpick in the color first and then the milk and you'll make rings.
Do it a few more times and then just sit back and watch.  As the soap disrupts the surface tension of the milk, the colors dance around all by themselves.  Kind of like a funky kaleidoscope. 

2 comments:

Michelle said...

good idea!We'll have to give it a try.

Lynda said...

I'm going to try that with our Grandcuties today! Thanks for sharing a great idea again.
Love You!