Thursday, February 3, 2011

S is for Snowman Day!

Yesterday's Snow day inspired me to do some preschool "S" activities, with a specific theme of snowmen. I found these amazing homeschooling sites that let you use their printables for FREE! Thank you tip junkie for the great tip! So, I printed them off, cut them out, and today Lexi and I did some educational games and activities. Lexi had a blast! I was doing preschool stuff with Lex on a regular basis, but when Christine was born I kind of got out of the habit. Well, after today, I realized I need to do more, because Lexi just loved it! The activities were really easy for her, easier than I had anticipated, so all of our fun lasted for about 20 minutes. However, Lexi wanted to play some of the games multiple times so it ended up being 45 minutes of fun! So, without further ado, here are the games! Warning: It is kind of a long post.

Build A Word
She had to find the matching letter to build the word
She was having so much fun doing this. She kept singing, "Come on Let's build a word, let's build it, let's build it now!" That happens to be from the PBS show, Word World, a fav of Lex

She completed the word, snowman, in less than 5 minutes. And, she knew every letter! Look how proud she is!

Counting Game

She had to pick a card from the pile, and whatever number that card showed, she had to put that many pom pom balls on the circles on the bottom of the snowman card. 
When she got all 10, she won! This was one of her favorites, we played at least three times.

Biggest to Smallest

I mixed up all the snowmen and then she had to put them in order from the biggest to the smallest. We also went from the smallest to the biggest, and doing it that way was harder for her, for some reason. 

She played this game like a champ. I thought it would be harder for her than it was. We even talked about the middle sizes and she understood perfectly. 
Again, this game was a big hit, she has played it a lot today! I cannot even count how many times. I loved this one too, because she could do it completely independently. 

Snowflake Match
She had to find the pairs that matched

This game was way too easy for her. She completed it twice in like 2 minutes. It was not a fav, because it was so easy. I was kind of surprised, because we do not play that many matching games. But, I guess I will have to make it more challenging next time. 

Tracing the Letter "S"
Now THIS was a challenge for Lex. Do you see how I have a lefty on my hands? However, she surprised me with how well she got to the lines. 

Not too bad for doing it entirely on her own, for in her exact words, "I can do it myself, mom, I don't need help." Miss Independent....
She was being so goofy and i just love this goofy face she is making. 
Oh, that is better! 
During snack time, she asked me if she could place her goldfish on the letter S, so that is what she did, entirely her idea!
So, there you go!

Snowman Pancake Lunch
To keep the theme going, we made snowman pancakes for lunch! We used blueberries for the eyes and buttons, fat-free american cheese for the scarf, baby carrot cut into a triangle for nose, and chocolate cookie icing for the smile and arms. (If it sounds like a weird combo, it kinda is, but it is what I had on hand, and Lexi ate it all, so it was all good)

She loved this. She even ate the blueberries for crying out loud, that is huge for my picky eater!
She dipped the pancake circles in pure maple syrup. It was the perfect lunch to end a fun, perfect snowman day! Don't you just love her cheesy smile in this one? I think she was done smiling by this point. 

1 comment:

Harada's said...

So fun! You have a smart and very cute little girl there. =)