Monday, June 6, 2011

My name is A-L-E-X-I-S!

Lexi loves nature! I mean, she really loves being outside and she really loves going on "adventures" as she calls it. She loves animals, she loves rocks, she just absolutely loves the Earth! Almost daily, we go outside and she collects various things like pinecones, twigs, leaves, etc. that she puts in her "adventure bucket." I kid you not, she refers to her red sand bucket as her "adventure bucket." It makes me smile! Anyways, after I put her down for quiet time I transfer the collectibles back to their natural environment. And, every day when she wakes up she says, "Mom, did you put my stuff outside again!?" Well today, on our walk, as usual, she collected a lot of sticks, leaves, etc again. When we got back in the house, she said, "Mom, I really don't want these missing when I get up. Please?" Well, I could not resist her face, but I also did not want any more of nature in my living room, so I asked her if we could craft with them. It was the perfect compromise. Now, I just needed to come up with a craft....

Well, I have been helping Lexi learn to write and spell her name properly lately, so that is the first thing that came to my mind. We took her sticks and the only two leaves that she wanted on the poster and spelled out her name, glueing each stick in its place. Lexi was in charge of finding me the sticks she wanted to use, and helping me break them, and she glued them in place. Lexi had a blast.  

When we were done, she stood up and as proud as she could be, she said, "Mom, my name is Alexis, A-L-E-X-I-S!" Is that right, did I do it?" 

She was so proud of herself and of her creation. I was glad that the sticks could find a good use and Lexi insisted that we hang it up in her room, so I told her when Chris gets home tonight, he can help me hang it up! 

I love my smart, quirky girl so much! And, I love doing fun crafting projects with her too!





No comments: