Sunday, June 27, 2010

Strawberry Picking

Last Thursday, Lexi and I joined some ladies with their kids from the ward and went strawberry picking. At first, Lexi was really into it. She would pick the "wed" strawberries and toss them into our cardboard box. Well, this really being into it business lasted for about 2 minutes and then she just wanted to wander the wide open fields. I wouldn't have minded except for the fact that Lexi kept stepping on the strawberry bushes and I could hear the strawberries squishing underneath her feet! I tried to explain she needed to walk in rows but it didn't go over too well. Needless to say, a lot of berries didn't make it into any cardboard boxes that day. But, then, her friend Whitney showed her she could eat the berries and so that kept her distracted long enough for me to finish picking berries. I went a little crazy picking though. Once I started, I could not stop, I had a blast. So, I left with my entire box filled to the brim and I paid about 12 bucks for the lot. Which isn't really terrible for what I got; it is just a lot of berries. So, since Thursday, I have made two batches of freezer jam, a strawberry pie, frozen strawberry banana pops, and gave an entire ziploc bag full of berries to a friend. As of today, the berries are all gone and I have given some freezer jam to neighbors and some of Chris's co workers, and we still have plenty left for our family. It was such a good experience to pick my own fruit. Since I did not do a garden this year, I sort of felt like a farmer as I picked the berries. I have to say, these fresh picked berries made supermarket berries look terrible. These were so fresh and so sweet and so delicous! I cannot wait until August when we can go pick raspberries. Thanks to Callie, I have pictures to post.

No comments: