Tuesday, July 28, 2009

July 2009 Trip with Glidewells

We have just spent a wonderful week with the Glidewells. They arrived to our house in Michigan on Tuesday, July 21 and left Tuesday, July 28. We packed in so much in these seven days so I think the best thing to do would be to give a travel log of our days.

Tuesday: The day they arrived happened to be my father in law, Chris's, birthday. So we went out to a nice restaraunt in downtown Rochester where we live called Krues and Muer. We enjoyed a nice dinner. Afterwards, we ate cherry pie and homemade rocky road ice cream, two of Chris's favorite desserts.

Wed and Thurs: On these days, my husband, Christopher, had to work and go to school, so me and the in laws just hung around the area. We went out to lunch each day and we basically went sightseeing locally.

Fri: We left after Christopher got out of school to head to Kirtland, Ohio. While we were there, we were fortunate to see the Kirtland Temple, the Newel K. Whitney store, and other wonderful church sites. We enjoyed being in Kirtland very much and learning more about our church history.

Saturday: After Kirtland we went up to Canada where we went to go see Niagra Falls. How beautiful the falls are on the Canadian side! We got to take a boat ride entitled, The Maid of the Mist, where it took us right to the bottom of the falls. We got the best view that way. We also got very wet! It was grand. Too bad Alexis was asleep for the majority of the boat ride. Oh well, I guess we will have to take her back when she is older so she can really experience it! Bummer :) Anyways, it was beautiful and fun to be in Canada for a little while since I have never been.

Sunday: From Niagra Falls, we drove up to Palmyra, NY. On Sunday, we went to the Sacred Grove, and Joseph Smith's Childhood home. I loved being in the sacred grove since that is where God and Jesus Christ appeared to the prophet Joseph Smith so many years ago. The spirit I felt was so strong and the beauty from the groves was captivating. The only downside was I received over 6 mosquito bites while being in the groves. Alexis received 2 bites and Christopher received 0! Anyways, it was magnificent. I also loved being in the log cabin where Joseph and his family lived. It made me so grateful for the life I have and made me realize I could have it way worse. The cabin was ever so tiny and Joseph Smith had a large family so I cannot imagine how cramped it must have been. But, that house is so special because that is where the angel Moroni appeared to Joseph Smith giving him instruction and from the angel Moroni the prophet learned about the book of mormon. What I think is neat is that the angel Moroni appeared to him at night in his bedroom upstairs, a bedroom in which Joseph shared with all of his brothers, and when the angel appeared none of his brothers woke up or saw the angel. If you ever go see the size of the room you will know that is a miracle. Anyways, it was great.

Monday: ON Monday, we went to the Palmyra Temple and to the Hill Cumorah. The hill cumorah is where the gold plates were buried by Moroni and where Joseph Smith went to retrieve the plates years later. From those plates we now have the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ. It was neat to go to the hillside where one day the gold plates lay in the ground. We also went to the building where the first book of mormon was published. A sister missionary explained to us the process of creating the book and the extensive work it was to accomplish it. I am amazed at the diligence the saints had to publish the first books of mormon. The entire process took a little over 2 years to complete. I love the book of mormon and know that it is true. And from that small printing room in Palmyra from where it originated it is now published all over the world and translated into 107 different languages. It is amazing how the gospel is going into ever nation. I love it and am excited to be part of such an amazing work.
After seeing all the sites in Palmyra we headed back to Michigan.

Tuesday: This afternoon, the Glidewells took off to the Detroit Airport where they will be going back to AZ. My house is all of the sudden quiet again and i hate it. I loved having them here. The entire vacation was a blast and it made me realize how fun and important it is to have family around. Because we now live so far away from family I cherish every moment I have to spend with them. I am glad I have great in laws and who love us enough to come and visit us in our new home. I hope they come back soon!




























3 comments:

Autumn Fauver said...

I miss you all so much. Washington is nice, but anyplace its never as nice when you don't have you family around.
:(

Hallie Ann said...

your just saying nice things cuz we read this! :) hehe jk! miss ya already! remember au-to-botz!

Autumn Fauver said...

haha I heard about Au-to-bots last night its was really cute, made me laugh out loud! Hey heidi you really should follow my blog I posted some pictures that you took and I edited them idk if you like them or not let me know!